Skip to main content

UPDATE: Suspect Who Left Gun Inside Harrison Hotel, Fired Weapon at Police

Harrison Town

According to Harrison Police officials, at approximately 12:52 p.m., Harrison Patrol units responded to the Element Hotel on a report of a firearm left in the room.

Officials said the firearm was recovered and reported stolen.

Minutes after the Harrison units left the hotel, the owner returned to the room to secure the weapon. 

Officials said desk staff at the establishment called the Harrison authorities to inform them that the owner was there to pick up the firearm.

As Harrison units responded to the hotel, the owner left the scene in a black Toyota Camry occupied with two other individuals. According to police, when the first Harrison unit arrived, hotel staff pointed to the vehicle just before the driver drove away. 

Officials said the officers relayed that information to responding units and officers located the vehicle at the intersection of Frank E. Rodgers Blvd South and Cifelli Dr.

Officials said as the driver noticed a heavy police response approaching the intersection, he aggressively sped up and struck a vehicle that was sitting in traffic.

Harrison officers said when they approached the vehicle, the driver bailed from the car. 

Police said the driver drew a firearm from his waistband and fired in the direction of pursuing officers. With two occupants still in the vehicle, a description of the fleeing driver was given out and responding units began their search.

Police say civilians in their vehicles, near the suspect’s car, were removed and placed out of harm’s way. Officers performed a tactical approach towards the car and ordered both occupants out of the vehicle.

Officials said they were taken into custody and transported to headquarters.

Harrison officers and mutual aid from several jurisdictions searched the area for the suspect. 

A resident alerted police that the actor was in the backyards of the 300 block of Essex Street.

Police used ballistic shields when they formed small teams and entered multiple alleyways to search for the assailant.  

The actor fled over fences and was apprehended along the railroad tracks near the original incident. Police said a firearm was recovered at the scene.

No officers were injured, and the investigation is still ongoing.