Skip to main content

UPDATE: Carbon Monoxide Leak in Perth Amboy Building Kills 13-Year-Old Girl

Perth Amboy

Authorities are investigating the cause of a carbon monoxide leak that killed a 13-year-old girl and sent as many as 35 people to the hospital.

According to authorities, emergency responders arrived at 185 Fayette Street in Perth Amboy around 4 p.m. for a report of several people sickened by fumes.

Upon arrival, officers immediately began to assist in evacuating the three-story apartment building that houses 12 apartments.

Authorities said approximately 35 people were evaluated and or treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, including seven police officers.

Unfortunately, a 13-year-old girl was among the rescued residents who was ultimately pronounced dead at the hospital.

The cause of the leak was due to a blocked chimney and officials are expected to file criminal charges because there were apparently several carbon monoxide detectors in the building that did not reportedly work.