Skip to main content

Trenton Man Sentenced to Life in Prison for 2019 Willingboro Murder


By: Richard L. Smith 

Officials in Burlington County announced that a Trenton man was sentenced Friday to life in prison without the possibility of parole for fatally shooting a 26-year-old woman three years ago inside a parked car on Baldwin Lane in the Buckingham Park section of Willingboro Township. 


Officials said Woods was arrested along with Sam Gore of Willingboro and charged with killing Deasia Ayres of Willingboro in the early morning hours of September 18, 2019.  

The investigation revealed that Woods fired a handgun into her neck and head as she sat in her Dodge Durango. The motive was robbery.

“I commend everyone who was involved in the investigation and prosecution of this defendant,” Prosecutor Bradshaw said.

“This case strongly demonstrates our determination to work closely with our law enforcement partners to combat gun violence and maintain safe neighborhoods for Burlington County residents.”  

Gore, 28, faces similar charges to those lodged against Woods. They have been held in the Burlington County Jail in Mount Holly since being arrested a week after the shooting. 

The sentence was handed down in Superior Court in Mount Holly by the Hon. Christopher J. Garrenger, J.S.C., to Devon Woods, 28, who was convicted in October of Felony Murder (First Degree) Murder (First Degree), Robbery (First Degree), Conspiracy to Commit Robbery (Second Degree), Possession of a Weapon for an Unlawful Purpose (Second Degree), Unlawful Possession of a Weapon (Second Degree) and Certain Persons Not to Have Weapons (Second Degree).

The case is being prosecuted by Assistant Prosecutor Bob Van Gilst, supervisor of the BCPO Major Crimes Unit, and Assistant Prosecutor Rachel Conte.

The investigation was conducted by detectives from the Prosecutor’s Office and the Willingboro Township Police Department, with assistance from the Burlington County Sheriff's Office, the Mercer County Sheriff’s Office and the Trenton Police Department. The lead investigators were BCPO Detective Sgt. Tony Luyber and WTPD Detective Sgt. Jason Galiazzi.