Skip to main content

Roselle Park Woman Burned in Fire Possibly Caused by Smoking While Using Oxygen

By kcora on
Roselle Park

An 80-year-old woman suffered second and third degree burns to a large portion of her body in a fire that police say she possibly started by smoking a cigarette while utilizing oxygen tank.

Police responded to a residence on Sherman Avenue sometime around 4 this morning for a report of an unknown medical emergency.

Upon arrival, officers found an 80-year-old woman suffering second and third degree burns over a large portion of her body. Officers administered first aid until the arrival of Roselle Park First Aid Squad and Paramedics.

The victim was rushed to St. Barnabas Hospital Burn Center in Livingston for her injuries.

Based on preliminary investigations, it appears the fire started as a result of cigarette smoking while utilizing an oxygen tank.

"Our department wishes to remind all residents of the dangers of the use of oxygen while smoking cigarettes”.

The matter remains under investigation.