Skip to main content

PRESIDENT: “Normal Operations Resumes at Bergen County College After Fumes Overcomes Four Workers Inside Building”

By rlsmetro on
Bergen County

Local and county hazmat officials have cleared and secured a Bergen County building where four workers were overcome by fumes Tuesday. 

The incident happened around 4 p.m. inside the Pitkin Education Building just off Paramus Road. 

Addressing the campus in a statement, Bergen County Community College President Dr. Eric M. Friedman confirmed that the building has been cleared and secured. However, it will remain closed this evening for all classes, activities and operations.

Dr. Friedman said Pitkin will reopen tomorrow morning for normal operations.

President Freidman shared his account of the incident in the following statement: 

“This afternoon, a contractor conducted a routine cleaning of a drain in Bergen Pizza. The cleaner reacted with trapped food/grease and created a localized chemical reaction.

Four College employees in close proximity inhaled the chemical reaction and are currently receiving treatment at a local hospital.

Please join me in keeping them in our thoughts this evening.

The localized chemical reaction quickly dissipated and the building has been declared safe by county and municipal first responders.”

Pitkin houses the Student Center and other offices. President Friedman confirmed no students suffered injuries. 

The incident remains under investigation.