NJ TRANSIT’s Board of Directors today approved a contract for full design services and construction support services for canopy, platform, and accessibility enhancements at the Trenton Transit Center.
The contract is part of a $29 million effort to rehabilitate two existing platforms and their associated canopies, elevators, and escalators, as well as to convert a low-level platform into a fully accessible high-level platform with elevator access.
The project will promote increased customer safety and convenience, increase capacity, reduce maintenance costs, and mitigate platform congestion.
“NJ TRANSIT is pleased to be advancing significant improvements at one of our state’s most essential multi-modal transit hubs,” NJ TRANSIT President & CEO Kevin S. Corbett said.
“Ultimately, this project will create a safer, more modern, and more accessible Trenton Transit Center – with additional capacity and convenience for the thousands of customers who use it every day.”
In today’s action, the Board of Directors awarded a $1.9 million contract to AECOM Technical Services, Inc. for all design and construction support phases of this project.
The scope of work on the two island platforms will include the replacement of existing deteriorating wooden platform sections with a more durable concrete platform, the addition of new tactile strips and rub rails, the reconstruction of platform deck joints, and the repair of concrete spalls.
Deteriorating canopies that were last reconstructed in 1992 will also be restored. The existing low-level platform will be upgraded to a high-level platform with a larger waiting shelter and a new elevator from the concourse above.
In the past, NJ TRANSIT had upgraded the main station entrances and pedestrian overpass at the Trenton Transit Center.
NJ TRANSIT was chosen as one of only 11 other transportation agencies in the nation to receive a competitive Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) State of Good Repair Grant that will be used in part to fund this project.
The $18.2 million grant represents the federal share of the nearly $29 million total infrastructure improvement project.
A station has existed at the site since 1863. New stations have been built to replace old, outdated ones several times through the course of history; in 1893, 1976, and most recently by NJ TRANSIT in 2008 when new station buildings were built on the north and south sides of the tracks, including a new passenger concourse over the tracks connecting the two.