Skip to main content

NJ Police Detective Indicted For Falsely Reporting Selling Gun After Domestic Violence Case

Ocean County


By: Yuritza Aroyo

Authorities in Ocean County announced that on August 30, Matthew Curtis, 47, of Little Egg Harbor Township, was indicted by a Grand Jury sitting in Ocean County on charges of providing a False Report to Law Enforcement Authorities, Contempt of a Judicial or Protective Order, and being a Certain Person prohibited from Possessing a Weapon.

According to officials, the charges result from an investigation conducted by the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office Professional Standards Unit, Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office Domestic Violence/Weapons Squad, and Little Egg Harbor Township Police Department.

Officials say the investigation revealed that Curtis - a Detective with the Island Heights Police Department – was required to surrender to law enforcement any guns that he owned or possessed pursuant to the imposition of a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) issued against him on May 11, 2022.

On that date, Curtis surrendered a number of weapons to law enforcement. On May 13, 2022, Curtis authored and signed a letter advising law enforcement that he had sold three handguns that were registered to him prior to the issuance of the TRO and indicated he no longer owned those weapons.

According to the authorities, a subsequent weapons trace conducted by the United States Department of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives indicated, however, that Curtis remained the registered owner of the subject handguns. On December 11, 2022, Curtis filed a report with the Little Egg Harbor Police Department, asserting that three handguns were stolen from his unlocked personal vehicle in front of his home.

Investigation further revealed that one of those handguns he reported stolen was one of the weapons he claimed to have sold prior to the issuance of the TRO.

Authorities say the same weapon was recovered from a defendant accused of a motor vehicle theft and eluding in Essex County, New Jersey.

On February 14, Curtis was processed at the Ocean County Sheriff’s Office and released on a summons pending a future appearance in Ocean County Superior Court.

He was also suspended with pay from his position with the Island Heights Police Department.