Skip to main content

Maplewood Couple Charged with Firearm Offenses after Standoff in Hudson County Hotel

Hudson County

NEWARK, N.J. – A husband and wife were arrested on weapons charges after a standoff at a Hudson County hotel, Acting U.S. Attorney Rachael A. Honig announced.

Federal officials said Mr. Rahim Harris, 42, of Maplewood  is charged by complaint with one count of possession of firearms and ammunition by a convicted felon

According to officials, his wife, Ms. Haneefha White, 39, is charged by complaint with aiding and abetting the possession of firearms and ammunition by a convicted felon.

They will have their initial appearances by videoconference at a date to be determined.

According to documents filed in this case and statements made in court:

On Dec. 21, 2019, Harris was charged by complaint with weapons and aggravated assault offenses allegedly committed on that date. On March 14, 2021, law enforcement received information indicating that Harris was in a specific room at a hotel in Secaucus. 

Law enforcement officers responded to the hotel a few hours later to attempt to locate and arrest Harris, who was identified from a photograph as the person staying in the specific hotel room.

Officers observed Harris’ wife entering the room. They attempted to summon White while she was in the hallway, but she entered the room and closed the door.  

White then called the front desk and asked why police were in the hallway. Law enforcement officers spoke with White on the telephone to persuade her to come out. She indicated there were other individuals in the room and that they were “on edge” and had firearms and hand grenades.

After several hours of unsuccessful negotiations with White, law enforcement called the room and Harris picked up the phone. Harris stated that he did not want to come out because of the arrest warrant and that he was “prepared for war” and “ready to die.”

In the early hours of March 15, 2021, Harris and White (who were the only occupants of the room) surrendered.  

A lawful search of the room yielded numerous weapons, fraudulent identification papers, bank cards, $36,910 in cash and a vehicle registration.

Each of the charges carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.