Skip to main content

Man Accidentally Starts Berkeley Stove Fire That Sent Him to Hospital

By kcora on
Berkeley Township

A stove fire sent a 78-year-old man to the hospital with burns on his head and hands.

Berkeley Township Police Department and Bayville Fire Department were dispatched to the 200 block of Iger Way in Berkeley Township on Mar. 26th at 8:34 p.m. for a report of an appliance fire with injuries.

Upon their arrival, the fire had been extinguished and they were met by a 78-year-old man with burns to his head and hands.

Officials said the victim indicated that he was cooking French fries on the stove when the oil ignited. The victim was transported to Jersey Shore Medical Center for treatment of his injuries.

An examination of the fire scene by the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office Arson Unit, Ocean County Fire Marshal’s Office, Ocean County Sherriff’s Department Crime Scene Investigation Unit and Berkeley Township Police Department Detective Bureau confirmed the origin of the fire to be on the stovetop. The cause of the fire is accidental.

According to authorities, the victim is currently admitted into Jersey Shore Medical Center where he is listed in stable condition.