Charging Hoverboard Fire Damages Garfield Office

Firefighters are investigating a Wednesday afternoon fire at a local business after two charging hoverboards caught fire causing major damage to the establishment.

Firefighters and police responded to Mega-USA hoverboards on Lanza Avenue Garfield shortly after 3 p.m. for a report of a fire.

Upon arrival, crews encountered heavy black smoke coming from the door of the business. Upon entry firefighters placed the blaze under control which was determined to have originated in the office of the business.

The batteries of the two multi-color, 10-inch hoverboards left charging in the office exploded and caught fire. The flames quickly spread from the desk to the wall and couch.

No injuries were immediately reported.

The investigation is ongoing.

Photo: Garfield Police