Skip to main content

Hackettstown Senior Housing Fire Sends Two Residents to Hospital

By kcora on
Hackettstown

An afternoon fire at the Hackettstown Senior Housing sent as many as two residents to an area hospital for smoke inhalation, police said this afternoon.

Crews responded the 600 block of Willow Grove Street at approximately 1:44 p.m. for an activated fire alarm.

Arriving officers observed smoke coming from a third floor apartment and heavy smoke in the hallway, quickly initiating an evacuation of the building.

Two residents were transported to Hackettstown Regional Medical Center for smoke inhalation. Eight other residents, suffering from smoke inhalation, refused medical attention at the scene.

The apartment where the fire is believed to have started, sustained fire and water damage and was determined to be uninhabitable, according to officials. A second floor also sustained water damage.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to human carelessness.