Firefighters rescued a man from a smoke-filled apartment's fire escape during a building fire in Elizabeth.
Crews responded to the 200 block of West Jersey Avenue for a fire in a 4-story building at approximately 7:18 p.m.
Upon arrival, firefighters quickly spotted and rescued a man on one of the building's fire escapes.
The rescued man was taken to an area hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation symptoms, according to Battalion Chief Water Clarke.
All other residents self evacuating as crews arrived.
The fire was contained to a third-floor apartment, where the fire originated as a result of unattended cooking.
The fire was placed under control by 7:24 p.m.
No other injuries were reported.
The 4-story building houses over 30 apartments, added Clarke.