Mr. Charles Whigham was a graduate of Newark's Malcolm X. Shabazz High School (formerly South Side High School) and the Renouard School of Embalming in New York City. He founded Whigham Funeral in 1946, according to Whigham Funeral Home's website.
The funeral home initially began its early years in his home (across the street from its present location) before moving to its new and current location in 1967. When Whigham Funeral Home's new location opened to the Public in 1967, the NJ community greeted it with great admiration.
Charles also served as President of the Essex County and Union County Funeral Directors Association, Past Master of Trinity Lodge #33 Prince Hall Affiliate F&AM, Trustee of the Newark Boys and Girls Club, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, and the New Jersey Council of Churches.
According to The Whigham Funeral Home website, he was a member of numerous organizations, including the Greater Newark Chamber of Commerce, Renaissance of Newark Inc. City of Newark Fiscal Advisory Board, Newark Economic Development Corporation, the 100 Blackmen, the Frontiers and the NAACP.
"Despite all of this enrollment in the community, Charles still felt the lacking economic ability for Newark, so despite naysayers, and being the perspicacious man he was, he organized and founded City National Bank, the state's minority-owned and operated national bank" according to published reports.
According to published reports at City National, Charles served in the capacity of Chairman of the Board, Bank President and CEO for 17 years.
"After 72 years of life and 47 years of community service, Charles made his transition on Nov. 7, 1993. Newark city officials named the corner of Green Street and Broad, where the first and main branch of City National is the Charles L. Whigham Square," according to the funeral home's website.
**INFORMATION & IMAGE CREDIT:** Whigham Funeral Home **SPONSORS:** Metro Media Institute of Harrison, Nino's Pizza, Bergen Street Harrison NJ, and William Paterson University