Authorities have identified the 9-year-old boy killed after a carbon monoxide leak in his Linden home Tuesday.
Police were called to 1157 Passaic Avenue on a call of a person having difficulty breathing at approximately 7:25 a.m.
Upon arrival, officers spoke to the mother, identified as Sepiatu Abu, 45, who found 9-year-old Oshiobugie Asekomhe and 10-year-old Emike Asekomhe unresponsive in a bedroom.
Both children were rushed to the hospital, boy to Trinitas Hospital and the daughter to Newark Beth Israel Hospital.
Oshiobugie was pronounced dead at the hospital while Emike remains in extremely critical condition.
The Linden Fire Department responded to the house and found high levels of carbon monoxide in the bedroom where the children were located.
The incident remains under investigation, but it appears to be a tragic accident, possibly caused by improper venting of fumes from the furnace.
There was also a carbon monoxide detector in the house but it appeared to be not working.
The Elizabeth Gas Company also responded to the scene.
The Linden Public School District id mashed the following statement:
“Today, the Linden Public School District mourns the loss of a third grade student from School No. 4. According to the Linden Police Department, our student’s untimely death appears to be a tragic accident caused by carbon monoxide poisoning. The entire Linden Public School community is deeply saddened by this tragedy. Our most heartfelt sympathies and thoughts go out to the family and the entire School No. 4 community.
There will be grief counselors and support assistance on hand for the duration of the week for students, staff, and families who may need help coping with this tragedy.”
Photo: Linden Public School