Alleged White Supremacist Charged with Possessing Arsenal of Weapons, Racist Materials in Sussex County
NEWARK, N.J. – A Sussex County, New Jersey, man will appear in court today on charges that he possessed an arsenal of weapons and ammunition, along with white supremacist and racially charged propaganda, U.S. Attorney Craig Carpenito announced.
Federal officials said Joseph Rubino, 57, of Lafayette Township, is charged by complaint with one count each of possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine, possession of firearms in furtherance of a drug-trafficking crime, and possession of firearms by a convicted felon. Rubino is scheduled to appear this afternoon before U.S. Magistrate Judge James B. Clark III.
According to documents filed in this case and statements made in court:
On July 24, 2019, following a motor vehicle accident, officers with the N.J. State Police observed numerous weapons and ammunition inside Rubino’s crashed vehicle. After executing court-authorized search warrants on Rubino’s vehicle and residence, law enforcement recovered from Rubino’s car and house the following:
• Intratec Arms Model TEC-DC9 semi-automatic assault handgun;
• Cobray Arms Mac-11 9mm semi-automatic assault pistol with a high-capacity magazine;
• Keltec CMR30 .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle loaded with 16 .22 caliber hollow-point cartridges;
• High Standard Derringer .22 caliber double-barrel handgun;
• Polymer 80 9mm semi-automatic handgun;
• Ithaca M-66 20-gauge single shotgun;
• Remington Model 700 .223 caliber bold action rifle with scope;
• Thompson Center .50 caliber muzzle-loading rifle with scope;
• Remington Model 870 Wingmaster 12-gauge pump shotgun;
• New England Firearms 20-gauge single shot shotgun;
• Remington Model 760 .300 Savage pump rifle;
• Glenfield Mod 60 .22 LR caliber semi-automatic rifle;
• Two sawed-off double-barrel shotgun barrels;
• Several high-capacity magazines;
• Numerous silencers;
• An assault rifle scope;
• A grenade launcher;
• A ballistics vest; and
• Numerous additional ammunition of various calibers.
In addition to the firearms and ammunition, law enforcement recovered approximately 70 grams of methamphetamine, seven kilograms of marijuana, and 200 marijuana vape cartridges from Rubino’s house.
Rubino was also in possession of a box containing clothing and bumper stickers with “SS Bolts,” which are common white supremacist and neo-Nazi symbols, as well as a document entitled “N****r Owner’s Manual,” containing racist material and purporting to be an instruction manual for owning a slave.