Police in Wayne looked into the official cause of a fire that injured a worker and evacuated a hotel in the city on Tuesday night.
According to a statement released by Wayne Police, at approximately 8 p.m., the fire was reported at the Kings Inn Hotel on Route 23 in Wayne.
Police say the fire started in an electrical panel. A worker was attempting repairs in which the worker suffered burns and was transported to Saint Joseph’s Regional Medical Center in Paterson by Wayne Memorial First Aid Squad.
A hotel guest was transported to Saint Joseph’s Wayne Hospital for minor injuries. A third party was treated at the scene and released. All other occupants of the hotel escaped without injury, police said.
According to the statement, Wayne Police, Fire, First Aid and OEM responded to the scene and mutual aid was provided by the Passaic County Sheriff’s Department, Little Falls EMS and Paramedics from Saint Joseph’s Health Care. PSE&G responded to render the electrical system safe.
Wayne Township Building Department and Health Department inspectors responded to assess the building condition. Wayne Police remained on-scene to assist management in escorting hotel guests to their rooms to retrieve belongings.
The building was deemed uninhabitable due to no power and all guests were moved to the nearby Ramada Inn for lodging.