Cumberland County Prosecutor Jennifer Webb-McRae, announces that Gerald W. Butler, Jr.,33, of Vineland, was convicted on June 29, 2022, after a three (3) day trial of the following offenses:
- -2 counts of Conspiracy to Distribute CDS (Heroin/Cocaine),
- - 3 counts of Distribution of CDS (Heroin/Cocaine),
- -3 counts of Possession of CDS (Heroin/Cocaine),
- - 2 counts of Possession with Intent to Distribute (Cocaine/Heroin)
- - 3 counts of Possession of CDS (Heroin/Cocaine).
Officials said the jury acquitted Butler of Possession of a Firearm during the Commission of a CDS offense.
According to court documents, from April 2016 to September 2016, the Cumberland County Prosecutor’s Office conducted a wiretap investigation into a narcotics distribution and gun trafficking network within the City of Millville.
Officials said Butler was intercepted on calls where he transacted to transfer firearms and sell heroin and cocaine.
According to officials, police identified through voice identification, surveillance, and phone data.
A search warrant was executed upon his residence on September 28, 2016, and the following contraband was recovered:
- -One (1) .38 caliber Special Revolver;
- - One (1) .22 caliber Revolver;
- - 14.676 grams of heroin;
- - 20.362 grams of cocaine; and
- - Wax paper folds, scales, and other distribution paraphernalia.
Officials said Butler is scheduled for sentencing on August 29, 2022, before the Hon. William F. Ziegler, J.S.C.
The State will be seeking an extended term, which will subject Mr. Butler to a sentence in the first degree range of up to twenty years in New Jersey State Prison.