Skip to main content

UPDATE: Mother, Child Dies from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Passaic


A 23-year-old mother and her 1-year-old son have died after they were both found unconscious inside their vehicle.

Police were called to Sherman Avenue around 8:15 p.m. for a report of three people found unresponsive inside a car.

According to reports, as one of the residents at the home tried to shovel his family out, the three members (23-year-old woman, 1-year-old son and 3-year-old daughter) remained inside the 2000 Mazda to keep warm.

However, the vehicle's exhaust pipe blocked by snow, sent the carbon monoxide into the vehicle.

The mother and children were transported to St. Mary's Hospital, where the mother and one-year-old were pronounced dead.

The second child (a 3-year-old female) was transferred to St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center, where she was listed in critical condition.