UPDATE: 14-Year-Old Pistol Whips Man in Newark Ironbound Carjacking

Police in Newark are reporting the arrest of two Newark teens, one 14-years-old and the other 15-years-old, in connection with a carjacking that occurred yesterday.

“I commend the officers and detectives who acted quickly to apprehend these suspects,” Director Ambrose said. “The diligence and professionalism of our officers are invaluable assets to the people we serve. Anyone who considers committing violent crimes in our city should think twice, because they will be caught.”

According to a statement released by Newark Police,, at approximately 10:55 a.m., officers responded to the 200 block of Lafayette Street on a call of an armed carjacking.

Police say a man stopped his vehicle at the intersection of Madison and Lafayette streets when a male approached the vehicle requesting a handout.

According to police a second male entered the victim’s vehicle, a black 2015 Infiniti Q50, from the passenger side displaying a handgun and threatening to shoot the victim before striking him with the gun.

Police say the victim fled the vehicle and it was stolen by the two suspects. Responding officers called for EMS, which transported the victim to University Hospital for treatment of his injuries.

Detectives in the area of Lafayette and Madison streets observed the carjacked Infiniti and a gray Nissan Altima that had also been carjacked on Sunday, July 7th according to police.

The suspect driving the Infiniti exited the vehicle and was observed entering the backseat of the gray Nissan Altima carrying a black handgun.

Newark Police, along with members of the Essex County Sheriff’s Department, pursued the Nissan to South 11th Street and Avon Avenue, where the suspects abandoned the vehicle and attempted to flee on foot.

Police say both teens were immediately apprehended and each face charges of carjacking, unlawful possession of a weapon, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and conspiracy.

The 14-year old is further charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

The weapon, which was tossed while the suspects fled on foot, was recovered by police.

These charges are merely accusations.

Each suspect is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.