Skip to main content

Three Suspects charged with Deadly Toms River Shooting

By rlsmetro on
Toms River

Ocean County authorities announced that Mr. Shadrach Correa, 18, Mr. Daivon Sullivan, 18, and Mr. Leyron Jones, 23, all of Toms River, have been charged with Murder in violation of N.J.S.A. 2C:11-3a(1) in connection with the death of Javon Cutler which occurred in Toms River on October 11, 2020.

Officials said the three defendants were also charged with two counts of Attempted Murder in violation of N.J.S.A. 2C:5-1a(1) and N.J.S.A. 2C:11-3a(1), and Conspiracy to Commit Murder in violation of N.J.S.A. 2C:5-2a(1) and N.J.S.A. 2C:11- 3a(1).

An investigation by the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office Major Crime Unit, Toms River Township Police Department, and Ocean County Sheriff’s Office Crime Scene Investigation Unit revealed that at approximately 8:15 p.m., Javon Cutler, 19, of Bayville, and two friends were attempting to leave Toms River Apartments - located on Main Street in Toms River - when an unknown individual opened fire on their vehicle.

Officials said Mr. Cutler, who was seated in the rear passenger seat, was struck in the head as a result.

The driver of the vehicle drove directly to Community Medical Center to seek medical treatment for Mr. Cutler.

Mr. Cutler was subsequently transported to Jersey Shore Medical Center, where he ultimately succumbed to his injuries on October 14th.

A post mortem examination was performed by the Ocean County Medical Examiner on October 15th.

The Medical Examiner determined the

cause of Mr. Cutler’s death to be intermediate distance gunshot wound to the head, and the manner of his death to be homicide.

After a very thorough and comprehensive investigation that spanned the course of nearly three weeks, it was determined that Correa, Sullivan and Jones acted together and in support of one another in carrying out the shooting of Javon Cutler.

Correa was arrested and charged on wednesday, while Sullivan and Jones were taken into custody and charged today.

All three men were transported to the Ocean County Jail, where they are currently lodged pending a detention hearing.