Newark Public Safety Director Anthony F. Ambrose reports that due to expected heavy rainfall today, many streets are expected to be flooded and should be avoided.
Because of possible flooding at the below-listed locations and because motorists could become stranded by driving through flooded streets and high water, people are asked to avoid these areas and to use alternative routes.
In addition to the listed streets, drivers are discouraged from traveling through streets which are flooded, have high water or are believed to be flooded.
The Department of Public Safety is coordinating responses to burglar alarms, flooding conditions, and other weather related incidents through the combined use of Police, Fire, and Office of Emergency Management Personnel.
**The following locations should be avoided due to flooding conditions or the potential for flooding:**
• Clay Street and McCarter Highway
• South Street and Van Buren Street
• Jefferson and Chestnut Streets
• State Street near Broad Street
• Jabez and Backus Streets
• 357 Wilson Avenue
• Manufacturers Place and Hyatt Street
• Magazine Street and Avenue L
• Avenue L and Wilson Avenue
• Ferry and Foundry Streets
• Norfolk Street
• Orange Street
• Nesbitt Street
• McClellan and Frelinghuysen Avenue
• Frelinghuysen Avenue and the Route 21 underpass
IMAGE: File Photo Frelinghuysen Avenue