Maplewood Police Detectives are investigating a number of contractor scams where a person approaches residents while outside their home or door to door and offers to do work around the house and property.
The most recent incidents occurred in the area of Prospect Street and Yale Street.
Anyone with information or video of the suspects should reach out to DLt. Palmerezzi at 973-761-7913or email@example.com.Bottom of Form
Residents are warned to be extremely cautious when selecting a contractor to do work on their homes. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Maplewood has a Township Ordinance that requires anyone who solicits door to door to have a permit and register with the Town.
Residents randomly solicited by people asking to do work should NOT accept or further engage the individuals.
I am asking residents to call the Police immediately at 973-762-1234 if something like this occurs. Let us determine if they are legitimate so that you do not become a victim.
Tips that residents should keep in my when dealing with this type of situation.
- Never let them in your house, they are strangers and it is dangerous.
- Never give them money upfront and be skeptical!
- If the deal is too good to be true, that’s because it is too good to be true.
- Selling door-to-door: Reputable contractors will not solicit door to door.
- Do not waste your time, get references and do your homework.
- Contractors claiming to have leftover materials from another job: Professional contractors know how much material is needed to complete a project. There are no “leftovers”. This is likely a scam. Avoid them at all cost!
- Pressured to make a fast decision: Say no thank you and move on.
Reputable contractors will provide a written estimate for you to consider.
- No contract offered: Avoid at all times. Insist upon a written contract specifying in detail, the work to be performed and the agreed upon price. Do not pay them any remaining balance until you are satisfied with the work that was completed.
- Cash only special price deals: Cash only or upfront is a major flag.
- Obtain more than one quote only from local or reputable contractors