Police Arrest Second Teenager in Fatal Shooting on Atlantic City Teen

MAYS LANDING- A 16-year-old Atlantic City male was arrested Wednesday, Aug. 7, and charged with murder and weapons offenses in connection to the fatal shooting of a 16-year-old male on June 15, 2019, Atlantic County Prosecutor Damon G. Tyner announced.

“This arrest is the product of the hard work and continuing investigation of the detectives of both the Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office Major Crimes Unit and the Atlantic City Police Department,” said Atlantic County Prosecutor Damon G. Tyner.

The second arrest comes after a 15-year-old male was also charged with the murder on June 19, 2019, in connection to the fatal shooting of the 16-year-old male.

Atlantic County authorities say on June 15, at 11:50 p.m., Atlantic City Police patrol officers responded to the 1000 block of Arctic Avenue for a ShotSpotter alert.

Arriving officers located a 16-year-old gunshot victim. The victim, of Atlantic City, was transported to AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center, City Division, with severe injuries according to Atlantic County authorities.

According to authorities, on June 19, a 15-year- old juvenile male—also of Atlantic City— was arrested following the investigation into the shooting. The Atlantic City Police Department’s Violent Crimes Unit detectives identified and charged the shooting suspect.

The same day, the juvenile turned himself into Atlantic City Police detectives at the Clayton G. Graham Public Safety Building.

The 15-year-old male was initially charged with Attempted Murder, Unlawful Possession of a Weapon, and Possession of a Weapon for an Unlawful Purpose.

Authorities say on June 25th, the 16-year-old shooting victim died at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center in Philadelphia.

Also on Tuesday, June 25, charges against the 15-year-old male were upgraded to Murder, following further investigation by the Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office Major Crimes Unit, in cooperation with the Atlantic Police Department’s Violent Crimes Unit.

The 15-year-old and 16-year-old males who have been charged with the fatal shooting remain lodged at the Harborfields Detention Facility.

Chief Assistant Prosecutor Janet Gravitz represents the state in this matter.