Carbon Monoxide Leak Forces Evacuation of Newark Building; Several Hospitalized

A total of at least six people were transported to the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak forced the evacuation of a Newark building.

According to authorities, shortly after 1 a.m., Newark firefighters responded to 89 11th Avenue for a report of a harmful gas.

Upon arrival, officials evacuated the building after PSE&G notified the Newark Fire Division of the presence of harmful gases.

Police said initially one adult was transported to University Hospital due to a high reading of carbon monoxide.

Since then a total of six adults have arrived to the hospital to be evaluated.

The cause of the high presence of carbon monoxide remains under investigation but the use of a household oven(s) for heating is suspected.

The building has been evacuated.

This incident is under investigation.