Skip to main content

NJ Grand Jury Declines to Criminally Charge Officer with Fatal Crash


By: Najla Alexander

NJ AG authorities announced that a state grand jury has voted not to file criminal charges at the conclusion of its deliberations regarding the death of John R. Nutt, 41, of Mount Laurel.

AdOfficials stated who died in a motorcycle crash during an encounter with a Pemberton Township police officer in Pemberton, on April 20, 2023.

Authorities say Mr. Nutt's death was investigated by the Office of Public Integrity and Accountability (OPIA) and presented to New Jersey residents serving on the grand jury in accordance with the Independent Prosecutor Directive of 2019.

In July 2021, officials say, OPIA issued standard operating procedures (SOPs) to ensure these grand jury presentations are conducted in a neutral, objective manner, with appropriate transparency regarding the process, consistent with the directive.

The investigation included witness interviews, photographs, review of video footage, and autopsy results from the medical examiner, officials said.

This evidence, including a video of the incident, was presented to a state grand jury.

Officials said after hearing the testimony and evidence, the grand jury concluded its deliberations on April 1, 2024, and voted "no bill," meaning jurors concluded no criminal charges should be filed against Officer LaQuan Jett of the Pemberton Township Police Department.

According to the investigation, the crash occurred in Pemberton at approximately 5:02 p.m. on April 20, 2023, near the intersection of County Route 687 West and Davis Street.AdThe collision happened after police received a 911 call alleging that Mr. Nutt had stolen a motorcycle, according to officials.

Upon receiving this information, officials stated, Officer Jett located a motorcycle being driven by an individual, later identified as Mr. Nutt, who had one passenger aboard.

Officer Jett attempted to stop the motorcycle in connection with the investigation, but officials said the motorcycle collided with an uninvolved minivan.

Officials say the crash resulted in the death of Mr. Nutt and left his passenger, whose identity is not being released, seriously injured.

The passenger was airlifted to Cooper University Hospital in critical condition and was later released, officials said.

Authorities say the two occupants of the minivan declined medical treatment.

Footage from the events surrounding the incident were previously released, the recordings are available here.