Skip to main content

Newark Man Sentenced to Two Years for Conspiring to Defraud Banks of Over $250,000

By rlsmetro on

A Newark man was sentenced today to 30 months in prison for conspiring to defraud two banks of more than $250,000 using stolen credit cards and blank checks, Acting U.S. Attorney Rachael A. Honig announced.

According to Acting U.S. Attorney Honig, Qshaun Brown-Guinyard, 27, of Newark, previously pleaded to an information charging him with conspiracy to commit bank fraud.

According to documents filed in this case and statements made in court:

From August 2018 through January 2020, Brown-Guinyard and his conspirators engaged in a scheme to use stolen credit cards and checks to fraudulently make purchases and withdraw money from two banks, leaving the banks to bear the losses of the scheme. 

The credit cards were stolen from facilities used by the U.S. Postal Service in Pine Brook and Warren, New Jersey. Because the cards were stolen, they never reached the intended cardholders. 

After obtaining the stolen cards, Brown-Guinyard and his conspirators used them to make unauthorized purchases at various retail stores and withdraw cash from automated teller machines (ATMs) in New Jersey and elsewhere.

The blank checks were stolen from various New Jersey-based post office facilities and never reached their intended recipients. 

Once obtained, Brown-Guinyard and his conspirators altered the date, payee, and amount of the stolen checks before deposit. He and his conspirators would then fraudulently withdraw money from the third-party account holders’ accounts at various ATMs.

Four of Brown-Guinyard’s conspirators – Nasheed Jackson, Alexander Varice, Dashawn Duncan, and Allen Varice– have previously pleaded guilty to identical informations. 

Jackson and Duncan were each sentenced to 24 months in prison, and Allen Varice was sentenced to 27 months in prison. Alexander Varice is scheduled to be sentenced on October 5.

In addition to the prison term, Judge Wigenton sentenced Brown-Guinyard to five years of supervised release and ordered him to pay restitution of $181,158.