DEVELOPING UPDATE: Man Connected in Murder of Newark Special Police Officer Found Shot Dead in Newark's South Ward

ECPO UPDATE 1:02PM: Officials have confirmed the victim as Mr. Hassan Reeds, 46, of Irvington Township.

The Essex County Prosecutor's Office has taken over the investigation into a violent shooting that left a man dead on a street in Newark's South Ward on Monday evening.

Officials from the prosecutor's office would not immediately release the name of the victim, but residents familiar with the family said the fatally wounded male is Mr. Hassan Reeds of Newark.

A search of public information by our staff revealed that Essex County authorities connected, then charged Mr. Reeds with the July 15th, 2005 shooting death of Special Newark Officer Dwayne Reeves.

According to preliminary reports, in Hassan Reeds' homicide, authorities say just before 5:30 p.m., gunfire rang out in the 400 block of Chancellor Avenue -near Weequahic High School- rushing police to the scene where first responding officers arrived and ordered EMS to the scene after they found Reeds suffering a gunshot wound.

Police say EMS transported Reeds to University Hospital where doctors attempted treat his gunshot wound to his head but were unsuccessful. Reeds was pronounced dead a short time later according to The Essex County Prosecutor's Office.

Authorities have not released the motive for the shooting.

In the 2005 incident, Special Officer Dwayne Reeves was shot and killed as he and his partner approached a car outside of Weequahic High School at approximately 2 p.m.

Officials say the officers had just broken up a fight between two female students and were talking with the girls when two men, one of whom was the brother of one of the girls, pulled up in a car and opened fire, striking Officer Reeves in the head and Officer Reeves' partner in the hand.

Officials say Officer Reeves' partner returned fire that struck Khalil Tutt aka 'Omar Tindell', 26, in the stomach. Tutt was rushed to University Hospital where he was listed in fair condition then later released.

A police manhunt for the second suspect, Hassan Reeds, 32, ended 12 hours later when authorities located then placed him in custody.

Click HERE for The State of New Jersey, Plaintiff-Respondent, v. Omar TINDELL, Defendant-Appellant case.

Reeds and Tutt were both acquitted on Oct. 15, 2007, of murder charges in Reeves' slaying according to court documents.

The Essex County jury reduced Tutt's murder charge to reckless manslaughter and also convicted him of cocaine possession, possession of a handgun, receiving a stolen car and making terroristic threats to students at the high school. He was sentenced to10 years for the manslaughter and five years each for the drug possession, gun possession, receiving stolen property and terroristic threats, bringing the sentence to 30 years. Court records stated Tutt was supposed to serve 18 years before he is eligible for parole.

Tutt was released from prison in April 2019 according to records.

Records showed Reeds was only convicted of receiving the stolen car and was sentenced to 10 years in prison.