Skip to main content

Natural Gas Explosion Destroys Point Pleasant Beach Home, Occupant Burned

By kcora on
Point Pleasant New Jersey

Authorities are investigating a natural gas explosion that destroyed a Point Pleasant Beach home and sent a badly burned man to hospital early this morning. 

Police responded to Cooks Lane sometime after 1:30 a.m. for a second natural gas explosion in Ocean County, this time in Point Pleasant Beach.

Upon arrival, the victim, a 47-year-old man, told police when he awoke around 1:40 a.m. he smelled natural gas, said Al Della Fave, spokesman for the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office.

The victim told officials that after he turned the bathroom light, the house exploded.

The victim was outside when police and firefighters arrived to the home. He was alert and conscious, but 40 percent to 50 percent of his body suffered burn injuries. 

The victim was transported to Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune, but then transferred to Saint Barnabas Hospital's burn center,  where he's in stable condition.

The explosion is currently being investigated. 

With this being the second natural gas explosion in a two week time frame, NJNG offered the following advice regarding potential gas leaks:

Because natural gas has no scent, a strong odorant that smells like rotten eggs is added to help you detect possible leaks. If you smell natural gas: Remove any cigarettes or other smoking materials from the area, and then extinguish them

Do NOT use matches, lighters or other open flames or activate light switches, electrical appliances, flashlights, doorbells or even garage door openers, as they could create a spark.

Do NOT use telephones (cellular included) on the premises where the leak is suspected. Phones can create a spark.

Evacuate everyone from the building immediately and then call NJNG from a safe location at 800-GAS-LEAK (800-427-5325). Let the company know where you are.

Photo: Ocean County Prosecutor's Office