The Morris County Board of County Commissioners approved $2.65 million in grants from the county’s Preservation Trust Fund to help restore, preserve and further protect historic sites in the county, including five projects that sought funding for the first time.
The 30 grants will go toward 29 specific historic sites, with one – the Seward House in Mount Olive – being approved for two grants: one for partial restoration of the exterior of the historic 1860s farmhouse and another to complete construction planning for interior work.
All of the projects were recommended by the Morris County Historic Preservation Trust Fund Review Board last month, with about 83 percent of the funding to be focused on construction work involving 15 projects.
The rest, 17 percent, will go toward 15 non-construction projects, including preservation planning, pre-construction planning and design work.
“Morris County has now approved nearly $46 million derived from our Preservation Trust Fund to restore and preserve 122 historic sites in the 20 years since the voters overwhelming approved of dedicating a fund to protect our American heritage.
Five First-Time Projects Included Among $2.65 Million in Awards
Both our Preservation Trust Fund Review Board and our Office of Planning and Preservation have been instrumental in helping us to select the most worthy projects for support and to see this important preservation effort continues. We thank them for their crucial work,” said Commissioner Director Tayfun Selen.
The five new projects approved for funding include:
The Boonton Civil War Memorial in the Town of Boonton
· Non-construction grant of $4,950
· The monument was erected in 1876 to honor the local citizens who volunteered to fight for the Union in the Civil War. Known as the Soldier’s Monument, the granite obelisk with four brass cannons on the monument base is certified eligible as contributing to the Boonton Main Street Historical District.
· The grant will provide for a conditions assessment, including recommendations and cost estimates.
Dr. John Taylor House in the Town of Boonton
· Non-construction grant of $24,000
· The c. 1897-98 Taylor House was built as a private residence and medical office. In 1921, the building was purchased by the Town of Boonton, and it became Town Hall and American Legion post. It is currently used as the Town Museum and headquarters of the Boonton Historical Society. The House contributes to the Boonton Main Street Historical District.
· The grant will assist with the completion of a Preservation Plan
Samuel Tuttle House in Hanover Township
· Non-construction grant of $36,000
· The c.1796 Samuel Tuttle House was constructed in the Federal Style by one of the early founding families of Whippany and was occupied by four generations of the Tuttle Family. The House is individually listed on the Historic Registers.
· The grant will assist with the completion of construction documents related to exterior repairs, including building structure and clapboard siding, interior finish restoration and repair.
The Lindenwold Mansion (Peck School Building) in Morristown
· Non-construction grant for $47,568
· The 1886 High Victorian former residence is currently owned and occupied by the Peck School. Built in 1886 by William B. Skidmore / Julia Cobb, the West Wing was designed by John Claflin in 1905. The building is used for administrative offices. Lindenwold Mansion contributes to the Morristown Multiple Resource Area Historical District.
· The grant will assist with the completion of a Preservation Plan.
The Mountain Lakes Train Station in Mountain Lakes
· Non-construction grant of $24,000
· The 1912 Mt. Lakes Train Station served the DL&W Railroad. The stone and concrete station features a standard plan adopted by the DL&W, with modifications to the layout due to the existing site slope. An active train station until the mid-20th Century, it was purchased by the Borough of Mt. Lakes and currently houses a restaurant.
· The grant will assist with completion of a preservation plan.