Skip to main content

Maplewood Police to Determine if Irvington Township Man is Responsible for Rash of Vehicle Burglaries, Thefts


Maplewood Township Police Chief Jimmy DeVaul continues to urge residents to assist his officers on patrol by making sure all vehicles and homes are properly secured at all times.

Chief DeVaul released a weekly report of several thefts from unsecured vehicles and free items left out easily for thieves to steal.

According to Chief DeVaul, in one of several incidents that occurred on August 5, township police on active patrol were notified of a suspicious person in one of the neighborhoods.

Chief DeVaul said at approximately 11:15 pm, observant residents dialed 911 when they observed a male entering a vehicle on Garfield Place.

According to Chief DeVaul, Maplewood Township officers responded and located the suspect who was later identified as Mr. Zakee Martin, 33, of Irvington.

Police arrested Martin then charged him with trespass and theft according to Chief Devaul.

The Maplewood Police Department are in the process of determining if Martin is responsible for the following incident released by Chief Devaul:

**July 23, 2019;** Two Packages Stolen; During the daytime on Oakview Avenue.

**July 24, 2019;** Theft from Auto; Between 7 and 8 pm, a cell phone was stolen from an unsecured vehicle parked on Fernwood Road.

**July 25, 2019;** Bicycle Theft; During the daytime hours, a bicycle was taken from an open garage on Boyden Avenue.

**July 26, 2019; Bicycle Theft**; At approximately 9:30 pm a male was observed removing a bicycle from a garage on Woodside Road.

**August 1, 2019,**; Theft from Auto; During the overnight hours a wallet was stolen from an unsecured vehicle on Marie Place.

**August 1, 2019;** Theft from Auto; Between 10 and 10:30 pm, an unsecured vehicle on Tuscan Road was entered and several items were taken -as well as a bicycle- from a residence on the 100 block of Tuscan Road.

Mr. Martin has only been charged with the Garfield Place theft at this time, but the investigation remains active and ongoing according to officials.