Skip to main content

Man Burned After Cigarette Causes Oxygen Tank to Catch Fire in Newark


A Newark North Ward man suffered burns when his lit cigarette ignited a nearby oxygen tank Saturday morning. 


Firefighters were called to a building in the 60’s block of Mount Pleasant to investigate reports of a fire around 8 a.m.


Upon arrival, firefighters found a male suffering burns to his face when the oxygen tank — which he was reportedly using for his medical problems — ignited. 


Authorities believe the man had been smoking a cigarette while oxygen was being administered, which ignited his tank.


EMS transported the victim to the hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries. 


The incident remains under investigation.