Skip to main content

Man Arrested After Climbing on Top of PATH Train, Delaying Service for Commuters Overnight

By rlsmetro on
Harrison Town

Port Authority Police are investigating an unusual incident that had a male trespasser who climbed on top of a train near Harrison.

According to preliminary reports, police were called to the Harrison Station to investigate reports of a suspicious package shortly before 11:30 p.m.

Port Authority police arriving at the scene immediately ordered PATH trains suspended from Newark to Journal Square after a male carrying a suitcase reportedly climbed on top of the train and refused to come down.

According to a Willie Whitelaw, a commuter on board the Path train who documented the incident on his Twitter and Instagram pages, the man jumped on top the train then jumped off shortly before narrowly being hit by a NJ Transit train, shortly before police apprehended him 200 yds from Harrison Station stop.

Whitelaw said passengers were held on a hot train without air conditioning and electricity for about an hour while police searched contents left on the train by the alleged suspect.

The suspect was transported to an area hospital along with an emergency responder for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.

**PORT AUTHORITY UPDATED 6:19AM:** "At approximately 11:30pm, PATH service was suspended in both directions on the Newark to World Trade Center line as police investigated a matter at the Harrison Station. Emergency responders arrived on scene. An emotionally disturbed person was held in police custody while police searched his belongings on the train.

Passengers on board were transferred to another train and were transported to Newark, or got off at Harrison.

NJT buses were honoring PATH customers from Newark Penn Station to Journal Square in both directions.

At approximately 1 am, the train that was swept was cleared by police and train service on all lines was restored". Officials would not confirm or deny onboard witnesses claim that the man climbed on top of the train.

The incident remains under investigation.