Skip to main content

Kenilworth Firefighters Battle Fatal House Fire

By kcora on
Kenilworth

Firefighters in Kenilworth responded to a house fire that killed a 68-year-old woman Monday evening.

According to police, firefighters responded to a two-family home on the 200 block of North Ninth Street sometime before 7 p.m. for a report of a fire.

Upon arrivals, crews arrived to find the second floor of the two-story home engulfed in flames.

A search of the home ensued after reports of an unaccounted occupant.

Police said the 68-year-old woman - later identified as Emma Gordon - was found dead in a second floor bedroom.

The fire is believed to have started accidentally after a hot plate fell on top of a space heater.

The autopsy report revealed Gordon died of smoke inhalation.