Skip to main content

Jackson Man Pleaded Guilty to Manslaughter


Monmouth County officials announced that an Ocean County man pleaded guilty on Thursday for his role in the shooting death of a Manalapan man in October 2019.

Gerard A. Grimes Jr., 24, of Jackson, pleaded guilty to first-degree Aggravated Manslaughter and second-degree Unlawful Possession of a Firearm.

Grimes admitted to shooting five times at the three men who were chasing after him, one of the shots struck and killed 43-year-old Narcisco Rodriguez-Corona.

Grimes is expected to return for sentencing on November 20. As part of his plea agreement, prosecutors will recommend a 12-year sentence in a New Jersey state prison on the Aggravated Manslaughter charge.

There will also be a recommendation for a seven-year state prison term to run concurrently with the other sentence included in his plea agreement.

The case involving Grimes co-defendants, Zoey S. Monte, 21, and Tyler J. Martucci, 23, both of Jackson, are still pending.

On October 5 2019 Manalapan police officers responded to a 9:34 p.m. call reporting a fight at 25 Fawn Run in the township. Several minutes later, police received another call for a confirmed shooting victim.

Manalapan police officers arrived on the scene and discovered Rodriguez-Corona suffering from a gunshot wound. He was transported to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, where he was pronounced deceased.

After receiving initial information regarding the incident, police began to search the area. A few hours later, police attempted a motor vehicle stop of Grimes’ vehicle, but he failed to stop.

Thereafter, Grimes fled the vehicle. Monte and Martucci were also onboard the vehicle and were arrested at that time. A short time later, Grimes was found in the backyard of a neighborhood residence.

A joint investigation by the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office and Manalapan Township Police Department revealed Grimes came to the Manalapan residence armed with a handgun.

Grimes attempted to enter the residence while Monte and Martucci remained outside. Residents of the home were alerted to Grimes’ presence and attempted to stop him from entering, resulting in a brief confrontation outside the home.

Shortly thereafter, a second encounter occurred nearby, where Grimes ultimately shot the victim. Grimes, Monte and Martucci all fled the area.