Skip to main content

Hudson Jury Convicts Jersey City Man for Fatally Shooting Man Inside Car

By rlsmetro on
Jersey City

Hudson County officials say on Monday, Michael Weathersbee, 27, of Jersey City, was convicted of first-degree murder and related weapons offenses in the murder of Laquan Clark on September 23, 2018 in Jersey City.

Official say the jury delivered the verdict before the Honorable Patrick Arre, J.S.C., following an approximately two week trial.

Weathersbee was found guilty of Murder in violation of N.J.S. 2C:11-3, a first-degree crime; Possession of a Weapon (Firearm) for an Unlawful Purpose in violation of N.J.S. 2C:39-4, a second-degree crime; Unlawful Possession of a Weapon (Firearm) in violation of N.J.S. 2C:39-5, a second-degree crime; and Certain Persons Not to Possess a Weapon (Firearm) in violation of N.J.S. 2C:39-7, a second-degree crime.

According to Hudson officials, I'm Sunday, September 23, 2018, at approximately 2:10 a.m., the Jersey City Police Department received a report of a male shot in the area of New Street in Jersey City. Upon arrival, Jersey

Officers arrived and found a male sitting in a car in the area of 14 New Street with apparent multiple gunshot wounds.

The victim, later identified as Laquan Clark, 33, of Jersey City, was transported by Emergency Medical Services to the Jersey City Medical Center where he was pronounced dead at approximately 2:40 a.m.

The Regional Medical Examiner’s Office has determined the cause of death to be gunshot wounds to the torso and head, and the manner of death to be homicide.

Michael Weathersbee was charged and arrested by the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office Homicide Unit for the murder on September 26, 2018 and indicted by a Grand Jury on December 19, 2018.

Sentencing in this case has been scheduled for May 15, 2020 before the Honorable Patrick Arre, J.S.C.

The State is represented in this case by Assistant Prosecutor Andrew Baginski of the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office Homicide Unit.