Skip to main content

Grand Jury Declines to Charge Officer Involved in Fatal Shooting in West New York

West New York


Ad By: Yuritza Arroyo

A state grand jury has voted not to file any criminal charges at the conclusion of its deliberations regarding the death of Kevin Colindres, 32, of West New York, who was fatally shot by a West New York police officer on June 3, 2022.

According to officials, Mr. Colindres' death was investigated by the Office of Public Integrity and Accountability (OPIA) and presented to New Jersey residents serving on the grand jury in accordance with the Independent Prosecutor Directive of 2019.

Officials say in July 2021, OPIA issued standard operating procedures (SOPs) to ensure these grand jury presentations are conducted in a neutral, objective manner, with appropriate transparency regarding the process, consistent with the directive.

The investigation included interviews of witnesses, photographs, a review of body-worn camera footage, and autopsy results from the medical examiner.

According to authorities, this evidence, including video of the incident, was presented to a state grand jury.

After hearing the testimony and evidence, the grand jury concluded its deliberations Monday, September 11, and voted “no bill,” meaning the grand jury concluded no criminal charges should be filed against the officer. 

According to the investigation, officers of the West New York Police Department responded to a residence on 59th Street in West New York at approximately 6:30 p.m. in response to a 911 call involving a domestic dispute.

During the initial encounter, Mr. Colindres fired a weapon at the officers while standing in the vestibule of the home. One officer discharged his weapon. One officer sustained a non-fatal injury during this initial encounter with Mr. Colindres. Officers took cover and maintained the scene.

According to the investigation, approximately 15 minutes after the initial encounter, Mr. Colindres emerged from a neighboring door and ran down the sidewalk, visibly armed with two firearms.

An officer discharged his firearm, fatally wounding Colindres. Officers and emergency medical personnel rendered first aid to Mr. Colindres.

Authorities say two firearms were recovered near Mr. Colindres, and one additional firearm was recovered on his person.

He was pronounced deceased at Palisades Medical Center in North Bergen at 7:13 p.m.

Officials say video footage from four body-worn cameras, four surveillance cameras, and a 911 call related to the shooting were previously released.

Those recordings are posted online: