Skip to main content

Gas Leak Leads to Paramus Park Store Evacuation


By: Yuritza Arroyo

Paramus authorities responded to a gas leak at a local store Tuesday morning.

According to Paramus officials, on December 6, at approximately 7:45 am, Paramus authorities responded to the Stew Leonard’s Store located at Paramus Park regarding a Carbon Dioxide leak.

Upon arrival, Paramus officials determined that a refrigeration pipe had broken while a service company was conducting maintenance, filling the store with Carbon Dioxide gas.

All store employees were quickly evacuated, and the store had not yet opened for customers.

According to officials, five employees were checked out by Paramus EMS and released at the scene.

Officials say three additional workers had evacuated onto the roof of the building and were assisted down to the ground by the fire department utilizing a ladder truck.

The leak was shut down, and the store was ventilated to clear the gas.

Responding to the scene were Paramus Fire Engine Companies 1 and 3 and Ladder Companies 1 and Ladder 4.

Fire department operations ended at approximately 11:20 am, and the store is expected to reopen by noon.