Skip to main content

Elementary School Students in Elizabeth Moved After Elevated Carbon Monoxide Readings


Students from an Elizabeth elementary school were moved to safety Tuesday morning after evels of carbon monoxide were detected. 

Statement of Elizabeth Schools Spokesman Pat Politano:

The Elizabeth Fire Department responded to an alarm caused by a slight increase in carbon monoxide levels at one if the city's elementary schools this morning.

The alarm was triggered due to a malfunctioning exhaust fan in ‪the boiler room‬ at Touisaint L'ouverture-Marquis de Lafayette School No. 6.

The fan was repaired, carbon monoxide levels returned to zero, and students returned to their classrooms.

Students and school personnel were moved to an area of the school where there was zero readings of carbon monoxide while the repair took place.

"The school district thanks the Elizabeth Fire Department for its immediate and professional response."