UPDATE: Driver of Double Fatal Jersey City Crash Surrenders

The driver of a car involved in a fatal crash that killed two people in Jersey City last month surrendered to authorities Tuesday.

According to authorities, on Mar. 20th at approximately 4:25 p.m., Alex Torres, 31, of Union City, surrendered accompanied by his attorney to members of the Hudson County Regional Fatal Collision Unit in Jersey City for his involvement in a Feb. 11th crash in Jersey City that killed two Union City residents.

Officials said Torres, who was driving the 2006 Honda Accord involved in that crash, has been charged with two counts of Death by Auto, two counts of Causing Death or Injury While Driving with a Suspended License, and three counts of Assault by Auto.

Police processed Torres and he is currently being held at the Hudson County Correctional Facility pending his First Appearance Hearing.

Prosecutor Suarez credited the newly formed Hudson County Regional Fatal Collision Unit with the investigation and arrest, as well as the Jersey City Police Department for assisting in the investigation.

According to police, on Feb. 11th at approximately 3:20 a.m., the Jersey City Police Department responded to a report of a vehicle collision in the area of 608 Tonnelle Avenue in Jersey City between Manhattan Avenue and North Street.

Responding Jersey City Police Officers found an overturned 2006-white Honda Accord in the northbound lanes of the roadway and a second vehicle, a 2006-red Toyota Corolla, located nearby on the sidewalk of the northbound lanes.

The initial investigation showed that there were two fatalities who were passengers in the red vehicle. The first victim was a male, later identified as Mario Guevara, age 25, of Union City. The second victim was a female, later identified as Heather Acosta, age 24, of Union City. The two victims were pronounced dead at the scene shortly after 4:10 a.m.

There was a driver and passenger in the red vehicle and also a driver and additional passenger in the white vehicle.

Police said they were all transported to Jersey City Medical Center by Emergency Medical Services for treatment of their non-life-threatening injuries.