Skip to main content

DEVELOPING: Car Left Running in Totowa Home’s Garage Causes Carbon Monoxide Fatality


One person was pronounced dead at the scene of a carbon monoxide incident at a home in Totowa this afternoon. 

The Passaic County Prosecutor's Office has been notified of the incident around 12:44 p.m. at 41 Knollwood Road.

Fatal CO

When emergency responders arrived, firefighters detected above-average CO readings coming from the single-family siding framed house. 

Rescue crews entered the home and found an unconscious and unresponsive person who was pronounced dead a short time later of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Fatal CO

Police say the vehicle was found running in the garage, which reportedly spread the deadly colorless and odorless gas through the house. 

Officials have not confirmed if the incident was an accident or something more sinister at this time.