Skip to main content

Convicted New Brunswick Rapist Gets 20 Additional Years for Breaking Into Woman's Home, Sexually Assaulting Her

By kcora on
East Newark

Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew C. Carey said a New Brunswick man was sentenced today to serve 20 years in prison for breaking into a woman’s home and sexually assaulting her.

Bruce Sterling, 45, was sentenced in New Brunswick by Superior Court Judge Alberto Rivas, who said the defendant must serve 85 percent of the term before he can be eligible for parole.

The term also runs consecutively to a 50-year term he is serving for sexually assaulting women in Edison and New Brunswick, and for an armed burglary of an apartment in North Brunswick.

With the additional 20-year term, Sterling will serve 70 years with no chance of parole until 85 percent of the term is completed.

He already has served about nine years in custody since his arrest.

The 20-year term was imposed after he was found guilty on September 29, 2015 of burglary while armed, aggravated sexual assault, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and terroristic threats.

During a trial that began on September 24, 2015, Middlesex County Assistant Prosecutor Lisa Miralles Walsh presented evidence and testimony showing that Sterling climbed though the window of a home in New Brunswick, took a knife from the kitchen and sexually assaulted a 25 year-old woman in her bedroom at 3:30 a.m. on June 9, 2003.

He previously had been tried and convicted in the case, but the conviction was overturned by the New Jersey Supreme Court in 2013.

He was arrested and charged when he attempted to break into the North Brunswick apartment and was chased by the homeowner. Police later found him hiding in the woods.

An investigation linked him to the other sexual assault cases.

Detectives determined that on June 9, 2015, Sterling, who worked as a nurse’s aide, broke into the New Brunswick woman’s home and sexually assaulted her during his lunch break.