Skip to main content

BREAKING: Early Morning Trenton Carbon Monoxide Victims Airlifted to NYC Hospital

By rlsmetro on
Trenton

Trenton fire officials are investigating the cause of a carbon monoxide leak that sent several individuals to the hospital Friday morning. 

 

According to a preliminary investigation, at approximately 1:20 a.m., Trenton firefighters responded to a home on North Olden Avenue with no symptoms of a Carbon Monoxide alarm.

Upon arrival, rescue crews located about three exposed victims, with at least two individuals unconscious. 

Firefighters entered the residence and discovered readings of over 80 ppm on the first floor and over 40 ppm on the second floor.

Multiple helicopters transported the victims from Capital Health Medical Center to Jacobi Hyperbaric Center Hospital in the Bronx, New York.

Health effects and symptoms of Carbon Monoxide (CO) are based on the different levels and lengths of exposure and the patient's age and health condition.

The concentration of CO is measured in parts per million (ppm).

Exposure to CO in the range from 1 to 70 ppm is uncertain, but most people will not experience any noticeable symptoms.

As the level of CO rises and remains above 70 ppm, symptoms become more noticeable and patients may have headaches, fatigue, and nausea.

As CO levels increase above 150 to 200 ppm, the concentration can become deadly if persistent and patients will have disorientation, unconsciousness, or even death.

Trenton Firefighters operated on the scene for over an hour and a half, secured all utilities to the residence, and ventilated the home for approximately 20 minutes.

Gas/utility companies responded to investigate the cause of the leak.

The cause of the leak is under investigation.